Our original and versatile Hawthorne leather handle design can be used in multiple ways for creative customers and designers. In this post, we explore the options, share photos, and explain how to order and install the Hawthorne leather pull “flat” as a handle with two points of contact with the surface.
Jump ahead to section:
- Four Different Ways to Install the Hawthorne Leather Handle
- Center-to-Center (C2C) Spacing
- How to Order the Hawthorne “Flat”
- Customer Photo Gallery: Hawthorne “Flat” Leather Handle
- Custom Sizes: Hawthorne Leather Handles
Four Different Ways to Install the Hawthorne Leather Handle
As shown in the customer photo gallery below, the Hawthorne Leather Handles come in 3 different sizes, and can be installed 4 different ways for a different look:
- In a standard loop with or …
- …without the (optional, included) metal washer,
- a backward loop that we’ve named the Fremont,
- “flat” as handle with an extra set of hardware (sold separately)
Center-to-Center (C2C) Spacing
For the Hawthorne handles, we recommend the following C2C spacing when installed “flat.” The spacing is somewhat flexible because leather is a flexible material.
These recommendations are also in the printed installation instructions included with all Hawthorne handle purchases:
|Handle Size||Recommended C2C Spacing|
|Hawthorne Small||4.25″ (10.8cm) +/- 0.25″ (0.6cm)|
|Hawthorne Large||9″ (22.9cm) +/- 0.25″ (0.6cm)|
|Hawthorne Wide||9″ (22.9cm) +/- 0.25″ (0.6cm)|
If installed with a wider C2C, the flatter the handle will lie against the surface of the cabinet, which can restrict the space available for comfortable hand and finger gripping. Of our three handle styles, the Hawthorne Flat can have the lowest profile, which is optimal in tight configurations but is balanced against handle gripping space.
If installed with a narrower C2C, then the leather can bulb outward prominently, and can create some slack — particularly with the Hawthorne Large and Wide. This can be a desirable look in some instances, such as creating an organic shape as shown in the photos below.
In this series of photos from a customer, the C2C was installed a little more narrowly than recommended, which gave the flexibility for the handle to have a “lift up” or “reach down” curved shape.
How to Order the Hawthorne “Flat” Leather Handle
The Hawthorne installed “flat” is the same handle as our looped pull, but with an extra hardware kit.
Installation instructions with our “flat” C2C spacing recommendations are included with every Hawthorne order.
Customer Photo Gallery: Hawthorne “Flat” Leather Handle
This photo gallery of customer installations of the Hawthorne installed “flat” with two points of contact, like a handle instead of a loop.
Custom Sizes: Hawthorne Leather Handles
Yes! We can make custom sizes. There are two dimensions we can easily make for a custom order:
- The width of the strap. The Hawthorne Small and Large are 1″ (25.4mm) wide, and the Hawthorne Wide is 1.25″ (31.75mm) wide. Other customers have asked for the “flat” handle in the same width as the Lovejoy handle (3/4″, or 19mm) and the Burnside handle (5/8″, or 15.9mm).
- The length of the strap to accommodate any desired center-to-center (C2C) hole spacing.
Contact us with your custom leather handle requests!
- Architectural Beauty: Original designs by former Architecture Principal Geoffrey Franklin, Walnut Studiolo’s collection of leather drawer pulls combines minimalist modern design with old-fashioned natural materials.
- Sustainable American Story: Behind their good looks, there’s a great story. Handcrafted in small batches in the USA from oak-tanned leather and oil dyes, our low-impact environmental values shine through.
- High Quality, Durable Materials: Our unique hand-dyed American leather gets better with age, offering a warm and comfortable touch with strong, long-lasting durability.
- Award-Winning Designs: Chosen by discerning designers for projects big and small, from home IKEA hacks and vintage Airstream remodels to mountain chalets and executive mansions. Honored at the “Best of Portland” awards and editorially featured in Real Simple, House Beautiful, and Interior Design magazines.
About Walnut Studiolo
Walnut Studiolo crafts original modern designs by hand in our Oregon workshop using only natural materials. We are a family-run company located on the North Oregon Coast. Learn more about us on our website: https://walnutstudiolo.com
Subscribe to our newsletter for more posts like this one, a monthly workshop newsletter, and 10% off your first order. Be the first to learn about our popular annual friends-and-family “AS-IS” sale.