Our clever customers have been finding all kinds of unique DIY uses for our old-fashioned leather wraps. This post shows the different wrap styles and dimensions so you can DIY the perfect leather-wrapped handle, railing, bar rail, bannister, appliance, tool, door, and more!
What all of our wrap styles have in common:
- Cut short to length using scissors or an exacto blade.
- American full grain vegetable-tanned leather, the most sustainable and long-lasting choice (the way leather used to be!).
- Gains a patina with age and use. Just like equestrian gear, the more it’s handled, the better!
- Leather gets “grippier” when wet.
- Hand-dyed with oil dyes (more like wood stain than paint) and available in 3 standard colors: Honey, Dark Brown, and Black. Natural also available upon request.
- Installation how-to videos are on each product page (via YouTube), so you can see how it’s done step-by-step.
- Will last a lifetime – can be un-wrapped and re-wrapped to keep the patina you’ve earned.
- Sew-on wraps come with waxed sailmakers thread suitable for outdoor use in a choice of natural colors: White, Dark Brown, or Black. Other American-made colored thread choices are commercially available for purchase at Maine Thread.
- Ends can be finished with electrical tape or “whip-tying” twine with shellac.
- Custom colors in earth tones may be available upon request. Read this post or ask us for more info!
Originally designed for bicycle handlebars, these wraps are ready off-the shelf for all kinds of creative projects. Our bicycle wraps infographic post is a great place to start – the guidelines as just as relevant in choosing the right bar wrap for your DIY project, guided on size and dimension:
The most flexible, versatile, and easy to install. Each order comes with two long straps 1.25″ wide by 72″ long. This is enough to wrap approximately 44″ total with a 1″ diameter (may be more or less depending on how tightly it’s wound around the bar and what the bar diameter is).
We used the Coil Bar Wraps on our workshop mallet handle for two years to compare the use with typical bonded leather bar tape.
Perfect for a continuous 1″ diameter (+/- 1/8″). One order of these wraps comes as 2 wraps that are each 22″ long. They are thin, designed to wrap smoothly around curves.
Grandpa Larry commissioned us to make and install a perfect-sized Sew-on Wrap in Honey for his first grandbaby’s new stroller handle.
Good for short spans with a 7/8″ diameter (+/- 1/16″). One order of these wraps comes as 2 grips that are each 5.5″ long. The leather is extra-thick for cushioning, but it cannot bend around curves.
Customer Pablo used our City Grip in Dark Brown on the emergency brake of his 1967 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet.
The most challenging to install but definitely the most beautiful, the “bullwhip” 4-plait braid was designed for a 1″ bar with a sew-on section mid-way through. Customizing this wrap is challenging but rewarding.
We also have a forgiving 2-plait braid. This product in no longer kept in inventory but can be made upon request. It is highly adaptable for long lengths and variable widths like the Coil Wraps – but it has a little more visual interest from the braid.
Ask us about braiding options!
An upscale Tex-Mex restaurant chose our Braided Bar Wraps in Honey to cover their service bar rail (they also commissioned these gorgeous drink tray panniers!)
Wheelchair athlete Max Woodbury used our Braided Bar Wraps as impact guards and grips on his everyday wheelchair.
Leftover wraps are great for tennis rackets, wheelbarrow handles, rakes, hammers, and brooms. What will you wrap in leather?
…And if we don’t have just what you need? Ask us if we can make it custom for you!
Check these sources for more info and FAQ about using our leather wraps:
- FAQ Specific to Bicycle Handlebar Wraps
- Blog posts category: “Bar wraps”
- YouTube channel installation videos
About Walnut Studiolo
Walnut Studiolo crafts original modern designs by hand in our Oregon workshop using only natural materials. We are a family-run company located on the North Oregon Coast. Learn more about us on our website: https://walnutstudiolo.com