November 3, 2016 — walnutstudiolo
Looking for gift ideas? These are a few of our favorite things – by makers and for makers. All of these products we have bought and used ourselves and are happy to recommend.
- Valerie loves her North St Bags Woodward convertible pannier. It converts easily and quickly from a pannier to a backpack. It’s perfect for her frequent grocery store runs and is made in Portland by our good friends at North St Bags.
- Fellow cannabis lover? Geoff loves the function and design of the crowd-funded Grasshopper vape pipe, which burns dry, loose herb efficiently and effectively in a modern stainless steel design.
- By now, you already know about our appreciation for Nick Offerman and Offerman Woodshop. His new book about the modern maker movement, Good Clean Fun, is such a good summary of our own work philosophy that we couldn’t say it better ourselves.
- We were early Kickstarter backers of electric-assist Faraday Bicycles and Valerie still adores her British racing green Porteur for around-town errands. Our friend Victor just bought the new Cortland step-through frame, and equally fell in love. It’s just that good. (The first thing Valerie did when she got hers? Put our Bicycle Frame Handle on it and got a matching green helmet from Portland brand Nutcase Helmets.)
- We’re always getting compliments on the walnut veneer iPad case that we use at shows. Our friends at Toast make this and other wood cases for electronics in Portland.
- Geoff really digs the high-quality, American-made stainless steel beard combs from Chicago Comb Company.
- There are some pretty amazing small-batch gourmet snacks coming out of Portland these days. We heartily endorse the Portland-made gourmet cheesy poofs and Indian-spiced popcorn sold at MadeHerePDX if you can get them near you – or if you’re on the East Coast, this Stumptown coffee flavored goat milk caramel made in Vermont for the best apple dipping you’ll ever experience.
- We’re currently playing with the Sherlock Holmes edition playing cards by Kings Wild – this and their currency edition are just beautifully designed.
- We live in Oregon, so we’re surrounded by a lot of amazing beer and wine, but if we’re being honest, we have to admit: our favorite winery is actually in Washington State. (That special bottle of wine looks great with our leather Whiskey/Wine Case)
- Jan Heine at Bicycle Quarterly (an excellent magazine subscription gift for bike lovers) recently wrote a gorgeous book about Rene Herse. Geoff has enjoyed poring through the pages and been inspired by the well-designed historic cycles.
- Our friends at Portland Growler Company make a covetous ceramic growler for fellow beer lovers. (And of course, you can get yours with a Walnut-made, monogrammed Growler Leash.)
- Nick Offerman’s favorite Scotch whisky may be Lagavulin but we have to admit that lately our go-to drink has been Irish Redbreast (“the priest’s tipple”). Our friends at Toast beg to differ, however, and they recommend the Islay Scotch, Ardbeg.
- During the winter, we use our woodstove to supplement heat, so we’ve been loving our Portland-made canvas log carrier from Beckel Canvas for shlepping logs back and forth from outside.
- Valerie uses her walnut wood adjustable-sized acoustic iPad stand from our friends at Schuttenworks as a recipe stand/NPR speaker nearly every day – but it’s their new wood Apple Watch stand that got rave reviews from Macrumor.
Still stumped? Check out our other Walnut gift guides: